Wednesday 2 April 2014

Eyes on the Goal!



It was in kindergarten that I looked forward to go to primary school. That time I did not even know what working hard was but all I knew was I had a goal, and that goal was to go to primary school. The chance finally came, I was now in primary school, and my goals changed every year. Each year I looked forward to moving to the next class. As each school year came to an end, I looked forward to passing my exams and go to the next class. That was my goal. And then came the final year of primary school by this time my goal was to go to Secondary school. Because one was not sure if they will be selected to go to the government secondary school, the competition was always high, but at the end of the day my goal never changed.

When I finally got into secondary school, I was very excited to see how different it was from primary school and for me that is where I learned how to work hard. Because here it was not just a matter of passing from one class to another, the grades mattered. You had to pass very well so that your certificate had the right grades. These grades determined your future goals. Here the goals were different; I had to work hard to pass so that I go to University. When I was in primary school I did not have any idea of University studies but when I got to Secondary school I realized this was important for my future. Yes I also started thinking of the future. What was my future any way? For me the future at this point was University education, I always wanted to be an independent person; I always told myself “I will work hard to achieve my goals”. And by the grace of God I went through my education and managed to reach my goals.

From primary school through to Secondary school, I saw most of my colleagues drop out of school, for different reasons, some got married, others just thought they don’t like school anymore, while there were others who dropped out because they had family problems which were beyond their control and they were just caught in the whole thing, and as children they had no control, it was sad. BUT no matter what you have been through and though circumstances have changed and made it difficult to achieve your goals, don’t give up. Never ever give up, you can always achieve your dreams.

So, some of you are wondering OK, so what is this all about? I will tell you, it is about having goals in life and working towards them each day of your life. I would like to encourage each one of you to have a goal or goals in life. These should be your focus, and work towards them. As you achieve these goals one by one, no matter how long it takes, you will develop skill, strength and endurance.

When you see successful people, it is out of sacrifice, strength, endurance and most of all GOALS, they had goals and for each goal they achieved it strengthened them to focus on the next one.
I hope we can look back and search our hearts for those goals which we had, have we achieved them? How far are we from achieving them?
I look forward to hearing your testimonies.


No comments: