Thursday 17 July 2008

PROVERBS!

HAHAHAAHA lero tiyendera tiphunzitsane mikuluwiko...

OOps! I started writing in Chichewa, that is just because I am so excited to share some proverbs that one of my friends sent me.

As you know it is a long running tradition in Africa and other countries in Asia that people/adults use proverbs to teach some of life's big or great lessons as well as pump wisdom into the younger generation. Proverbs have also been used as forms of expression where the person who is being told should figure out on their own what message is being relayed to them.

So here are some of the proverbs from Africa that made me laugh this week.
I hope you will enjoy reading them and trying to figure out what they mean.

The country where each proverb originates has been indicated at the end of each proverb.


When a man is stung by a bee, he doesn't set off to destroy all
beehives" - ( Kenya ).


"The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem" - Ethiopia .

"A short man is not a boy" – Nigeria

"No matter how hot your anger is, it cannot cook yam" - Nigeria .

"An old lady feels uneasy when dry bones are mentioned in a proverb" - Ghana.

"The same sun that melts the wax, hardens the clay" - Niger.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" - Uganda

"There's no virgin in a maternity ward" - Cameroon.



I hope you enjoyed reading the proverbs as much as I did.

Until next time ....Dzimvere mu mtolo!

1 comment:

ndagha said...

mwakhwana!!!!!