Tuesday 18 March 2008

BEING A HOUSE WIFE

Let me start by saying that the last topic brought out interesting discussions and comments. Many thanks to all of you who read the post and also shared with others.


Today we take a look on the other side of the coin, being a house wife.


What does it mean to be a "house wife"?. I will give some definitions that I have heard from talking to people what they view as a house wife. Some people say a house wife is a woman who stays at home and manages the household. Others will say a woman who is usually not working, may be has not gone to school so they can't get a job anywhere than staying at home. Another group will describe a house wife as a "goal keeper" meaning someone who waits for handouts from her working or employed husband.




Its interesting to note that in all these definitions a house wife is someone who is looked down upon in the society of women (I will use my home country as reference). There are several men who would prefer a house wife because they will manage the home full time and may also respect their husbands more because that is their only source of income. As for me I would say a house wife is a woman whom we have to respect in society even though she is not a career woman (lawyer, secretary, doctor, scientist, you name it), being a house wife is a career on its own.






I will start by pointing out that there are so many women who do not have any office jobs but spend their whole day at home and have a lot of talent which they can share with the society.


I have seen house wives who have used their time of staying at home as a time of thinking and developing their career, either in hand work such as knitting, sewing or even cooking. What am I trying to say here? Being a house wife does not mean that you just stay at home, bear children, and cook food for your husband. That is the time a woman can also develop their talents.



There are alot of things that women can do whilst at home, talk of painting for example, sketch drawing, gardening, decorations, all these seemingly small things can earn you as a house wife a career.


I know of women who are house wives and are good in baking, who have ended up opening bakeries, others even shops for wedding cakes and now they have thriving businesses. I know of women who started by trying to sew some small dress and realised that they could do more with their time at home and talent and now have tailoring shops which supply uniforms and other types of clothing to different schools and institutions.




So women, house wives out there, wake up and develop your God given talent.



Until next time



stay Blessed.






3 comments:

Joe Mlenga said...

Mwatero?

Anonymous said...

I was a housewife for thirty years, and look back on that time with great pride. We had four children, and we calculated that we would, at best, only break even with our finances if I went to work. Also, my children were gifted and required special attention and constant interaction, not to mention rides to music lessons, concerts, plays, etc. I think that our modern society looks down on this career, and that is sad. Our children are the ones who suffer when they need a parent and one is not available. I could write more, but I am grateful for your post and hope that my post helps move this topic forward. I may be emailed at jaianniah@yahoo.com. If you do email, please put "housewife" in the title. Thank you. Jeannie from the United States.

Anonymous said...

i used to work before getting married and taking up the current full time housewife position. Whenever I think of the old corporate days, it feels like that passion for career has definitely fizzled out. Being a housewife really turns into a mindset.