Sunday 23 March 2008

ONCE YOUNG

Hello my dear friends, today I thought we could look back to the days when we were young.

What inspired me to write this article is really one of those things that we encounter everyday. I was standing on a bus stop waiting for a bus of course and on this particular day it was stinging cold. I was frozen to my bones and this reminded me of my old primary school days.

Do you remember those days in Malawi when we were going to school in shorts, in June and had to run or play with friends to keep ourselves warm? Yeah this particular cold day reminded me of those days. JUNI (referring to the cold weather) AKUTSINA osati zibwana!

I remember the days we would sit in class with my coleagues and the wind will be blowing through the open windows, the teacher would say that the cold was to keep you awake but ......

One day we were in boarding school and I guess those of you who have been to a Malawian boarding school will relate with me how tough it was to take a shower when its cold, especially those from the North and in Dedza and other mountanous areas of Malawi. I remember to have had some conversation with some male coleagues who said that they would compete on who would stay the longest without a shower (Kupha dry!) because of the cold.
In other words taking a shower in the cold was the biggest challenge especially when you had to use cold water! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Other than that, there are so many things that I look back to and they bring a smile on my face of when I was once young. Going to kindergatten (ku mkaka), singing and laughing away not forgeting the epilogue of sleeping for two hours before going home.
Then came the tough part of STD1 where you think the whole world has turned against you and you don't understand why your loving parents have to be so CRUEL to send you to school. DO YOU REMEBER!!!!!!!!!!!? Or may be I was the only one who had this problem.

All in all school was fun and at the end of the day I look back at everything and see where I am today, I thank my parents for taking the courage to encourage me.And all in all I thank God for the opportunity to go to school and be where I am today.

I am sure those of you reading this blog have your own experience. Lets share it and laugh together.

WE WERE ONCE YOUNG ISN'T IT?

God Bless

2 comments:

Joe Mlenga said...

Kale likadati lidzibwelela anthuni! Ine ndinkalilila sukulu and would follow my relatives akamapita mmawa..actually it had to take zoyeza mkono from khutu to khutu to convince me to keep away from Standard one....otherwise ndinavuta!!!!! Ukulemba nkhani zabwino koma udzichita check ma spelo usanasindikize zibaluwazi.

Anonymous said...

first time in boarding school, first year secondary school, i would cry in the shower not solely because of the STINGING cold water and weather, but also because i could think of home where i could soak myself and stay in the bathtub filled with hot water for long, or i could 'wothera' hot water from the shower during cold season